Connect with us

Entertainment

Tori Spelling Slams Oscars for Shannen Doherty In Memoriam Snub

Published

on

Tori Spelling Slams Oscars for Shannen Doherty In Memoriam Snub

Tori Spelling made it clear she does not think it was right for the Oscars to omit Shannen Doherty from their In Memoriam segment.

“I’m sure all of you definitely saw — as I saw, as the world saw — that it was heartbreaking that Shannen was left out of the In Memoriam segment at the Academy Awards,” Spelling, 51, said on a special Monday, March 31, episode of the late actress’ “Let’s Be Clear” podcast. “I have to say, it was shocking, truly shocking.”

She continued: “Because to me, I discovered Shannen as a fan on the big screen. While she was so iconically known for her TV roles — which I want to honor her and go through her career today — but it’s really the big screen where her career just thrived. And she just lit up the big screen, going back to when she was a kid.”

Spelling added that she “couldn’t believe” that her former Beverly Hills, 90210 costar was snubbed following her death last year. Doherty died in July 2024 after her lengthy battle with cancer.

Related: Jennie Garth Calls the Oscars ‘Messed Up’ For Snubbing Shannen Doherty

Jennie Garth is criticizing the 2025 Oscars for snubbing the late Shannen Doherty in its “In Memoriam” segment. Garth, 52, shared her thoughts with TMZ in an encounter posted on Wednesday, March 5. When a reporter for the outlet approached her on the street and asked about the snub, the actress replied, “Yeah, that’s messed […]

“Honestly, when the In Memoriam stopped and she hadn’t been included, my heart dropped. It sank,” she confessed. “And it sank because I was like, ‘What? It’s such a miss.’”

Spelling acknowledged that she knows there’s so many people in the entertainment industry and that the Oscar’s segment time is limited, she wished that Doherty was given a moment of recognition on the show. (Doherty was listed as one of the names that Hollywood lost in 2024-2025 on the official Academy website. The Academy has not addressed their decision to not include Doherty in its broadcast.)

“I just think when someone so iconic to fans across the world passes and they’re not remembered for their legacy and the great work they did, I just think it’s shocking,” she said. “And personally a little triggering to me because this is the third person that I love has been left out.”

The other two loved ones Tori was referring to are her father, Aaron Spelling, who died in 2006 and Beverly Hills, 90210 costar Luke Perry, who passed away in 2019 due to a stroke.

Related: Tori Spelling’s Emotional Reaction to Death of Friend Shannen Doherty

Tori Spelling reacted to the death of her longtime friend and Beverly Hills, 90210 costar, Shannen Doherty. Spelling, 51, took to social media on Sunday, July 14, to share that she is still processing the news. Doherty died at the age of 53 on Saturday, July 13, following a lengthy battle with cancer. “I don’t […]

“The year my dad passed, I remember he was left out of it. And then, ironically, the year that Luke Perry passed, he was left out of it.” Spelling shared. “But it’s not like Shannen could have been an oversight. It just felt for all of us watching that loved her and loved her work, it felt like not only was she robbed, but we were robbed.”

Spelling is not the only one who called out the Academy for snubbing Doherty. Fellow 90210 costar Jennie Garth also referred to the decision as “messed up.”